Comb over hairstyles have come back in style since Donald Draper donned the look in Mad Men. While many barbers refuse to call it a comb over and instead refer to the cut as a side part, the men’s comb over haircut has become immensely popular as celebrities, hipsters, and everyday professionals have transformed the hairstyle once reserved for balding or thin-haired men (e.g. Donald Trump) into the cool, modern comb over of today. Long, short or faded, comb overs are versatile enough for all men. Let’s take a closer look at this classic side swept style.
- 1 Men’s Comb Over Haircuts
- 2 How To Get A Comb Over Haircut
- 3 How To Do A Comb Over
- 4 Best Men’s Comb Overs
- 4.1 High Fade + Hard Part Comb Over
- 4.2 Low Skin Fade + Comb Over + Line Up
- 4.3 Shaved Sides Comb Over
- 4.4 Mid Fade + Part + Beard
- 4.5 Low Fade Comb Over + Full Beard
- 4.6 Short Comb Over
- 4.7 Comb Over Taper + Hair Design + Beard
- 4.8 Skin Fade + Comb Over with Hard Part
- 4.9 Undercut Comb Over
- 4.10 Spiky Comb Over
- 4.11 Modern Comb Over with Part
- 4.12 Wavy Comb Over
- 4.13 Professional Comb Over + Low Fade
- 4.14 Short Sides + Thick Comb Over + Line
- 4.15 Classic Comb Over + Tapered Sides
- 4.16 Long Comb Over
- 4.17 Disconnected Comb Over Undercut
- 4.18 Messy Parted Combover + Hipster Beard + High Fade
- 4.19 Beard and Comb Over
- 4.20 Bald Fade + Long Hair Comb Over
- 4.21 Long Comb Over + Taper Fade
- 4.22 High Razor Fade + Short Comb Over + Thick Beard
- 4.23 Hard Side Part + Low Fade
- 4.24 Big Comb Over Fade + Long Beard + Part
Men’s Comb Over Haircuts
If you haven’t found a nice comb over to fit your style, you may not have been looking hard enough. Comb over styles vary a lot, allowing guys to truly make their haircut their own. For example, you have a choice between an undercut or taper fade on the sides. The short sides and long hair on top provide a sharp yet cool contrast that catches the eye.
Similarly, you may choose to accentuate the side you comb your hair to with a hard part. Or maybe you prefer to have some volume to your look, and want a spiky finish on top. The point is – you can do this cut any way you want and it will still look super hot.
How To Get A Comb Over Haircut
To get a comb over haircut, tell your barber you’d like to start parting your hair on the side. You can ask for a comb over fade, where the sides are tapered and the hair on top is long, or you can go for a more conservative, office-safe look and ask for short sides and an even longer top. The fade comb over can go as short as shaved sides or result in a taper.
While the low fade comb over seems to be a common variation, guys really have the choice of any type of taper fade – low, mid, high, or skin. These options offer versatility for other types of comb overs and hairstyles – short or medium length.
How To Do A Comb Over
To do a comb over, you will need to decide whether you want a neat or loose comb over. The neat look will give you a hard part and require a pomade to get that shiny, wet-looking finish; whereas the loose hairstyle provides more volume when styled with a blow dryer and matte-finish hair product.
Styling A Comb Over
To style the comb over, follow these steps.
1. Apply your styling product throughout your hair. We recommend pomade, wax or putty for a textured finish.
2. Then comb all your hair forward to find the natural part in your hair.
3. Now use that natural part to comb your hair down on the sides, and comb over the rest.
Remember that your hair doesn’t need to be combed straight to the side; you can comb it diagonally back or brush up your hair in the front to create a little lift.
Best Men’s Comb Overs
Below are some examples of the best comb over haircuts. Whether you want the classic 50s comb over or the modern version, you’ll love these cuts and styles.
High Fade + Hard Part Comb Over
Low Skin Fade + Comb Over + Line Up
Shaved Sides Comb Over
Mid Fade + Part + Beard
Low Fade Comb Over + Full Beard
Short Comb Over
Comb Over Taper + Hair Design + Beard
Skin Fade + Comb Over with Hard Part
Undercut Comb Over
Spiky Comb Over
Modern Comb Over with Part
Wavy Comb Over
Professional Comb Over + Low Fade
Short Sides + Thick Comb Over + Line
Classic Comb Over + Tapered Sides
Long Comb Over
Disconnected Comb Over Undercut
Messy Parted Combover + Hipster Beard + High Fade
Beard and Comb Over
Bald Fade + Long Hair Comb Over
Long Comb Over + Taper Fade
High Razor Fade + Short Comb Over + Thick Beard
Hard Side Part + Low Fade
Big Comb Over Fade + Long Beard + Part