The pompadour hairstyle was originally intended for women, but was adapted and popularized for men by the one and only, Elvis Presley. Since Elvis, the pompadour haircut has gone mainstream, becoming one of the most popular hairstyles for men. Today, the modern pompadour no longer resembles the retro greaser style. Instead, the men’s pompadour has taken on a loose, textured look and is often paired with a fade or undercut on the sides. Nevertheless, the pompadour continues to be a classic style that suits guys of all hair types and face shapes.
While hair length has a lot to do with how you style the pomp, guys have also started to customize the look further. For instance, you’ll find some barbers love the side parted pompadour, whereas others will introduce a new hair design to accompany the haircut. Below, you will find almost every variation, ranging from the short and long pompadour to the classic and modern pomp, as well as the different ways to style a pompadour. Here are 25 ways to wear the pompadour haircut!
- 1 What Is A Pompadour?
- 2 Classic vs. Modern Pompadour
- 3 How To Style A Pompadour
- 4 Modern Pompadour Fade
- 5 Curly Pompadour
- 6 Classic Pompadour
- 7 Wavy Pompadour + Undercut
- 8 Long Pompadour + Undercut + Part + Design
- 9 Classic Pompadour + Beard
- 10 Classic Tapered Sides + Messy Pomp
- 11 Side Part Pompadour + Mid Bald Fade
- 12 Disconnected Pompadour + Line Up + Beard
- 13 High Undercut Fade + Short Pompadour + Beard
- 14 Modern Pompadour + Thick Beard
- 15 Skin Fade + Textured Pomp
- 16 High Skin Fade + Comb Over Pomp
- 17 Long Pompadour + High Bald Fade + Long Beard
- 18 New Pompadour Style + Drop Fade
- 19 Parted Pompadour + Short Sides
- 20 Long Textured Pomp + Low Taper Fade + Hipster Beard
- 21 High Razor Fade + Thick Pomp + Full Beard
- 22 Cool Modern Pompadour + Shaved Sides
- 23 Very Short Pomp Cut + High Fade + Hair Design
- 24 Side Parted Pompadour + Taper Fade
- 25 Undercut Pompadour + Part
- 26 Mid Fade Pomp
What Is A Pompadour?
So, what is a pompadour exactly? The pomp haircut features short hair on the back and sides with long hair on top. What makes the pompadour unique is the large volume of hair in the front (the “pomp”) that gradually recedes towards the back of the head.
Classic vs. Modern Pompadour
While the classic style typically has long sides that are slicked back, the modern pompadour falls under the “short sides, long top” style by coupling the signature look on top with some sort of tapered fade on the sides (skin, low, mid, or high fade). The modern look is also sometimes known as the fade pompadour.
How To Style A Pompadour
To style a pompadour haircut, follow these simple steps:
- Dry your hair with a towel till slightly damp.
- Blow dry your hair on light heat while combing with a round brush. The goal is to style your hair into the general shape of a pompadour by brushing from front to back or front and diagonally, depending on how you want your pomp to look.
- Get some pomade, rub it evenly between your hands to warm it up, and work the product into your hair evenly by running your hands through your hair. We recommend starting with your sides (unless you have a faded pompadour) and slowly moving to the top. Grab more pomade to hold your front, if needed.
- Now comb and style your hair to expose the roots to the pomade, thereby creating a firmer hold. You can start by combing the sides back and then the top. If you want to have a part in your pomp, create it now.
- To give the pomp the volume it needs, comb the front upwards. You can do this by combing straight up and using your other free hand to guide your falling hair into place. This technique will also help you control how low or high you want the front.
- If the previous method didn’t work for you, another way to style a pomp is by placing your free hand in the middle of your head so it is lightly touching your slicked-back hair. Push this hand forward slowly while simultaneously combing the hair in front upwards.
We definitely recommend trying out the pompadour hairstyle since it’s slated to be one of the hottest hairstyles of the year and beyond!