Men’s hairstyles are constantly evolving, sometimes making it difficult to keep up with the most popular cuts and styles. Facial hair can be even trickier territory, especially since it can define your entire profile. Nevertheless, stylish facial hair doesn’t have to be rocket science if you figure out how to shave or trim your sideburns seamlessly with a few simple steps.
The modern man can take inspiration from a variety of sideburn styles – short, long, thin or tapered. Short sideburns may appeal to guys looking to maintain a gentleman’s look. For instance, a shaved, razor finish can make your beard look clean and fresh for work. And when combined with a business hairstyle, guys can pull off a successful, dapper style.
Meanwhile, men’s haircuts that lean more towards shaggy and tousled may prefer longer sideburns to appeal to a rugged yet handsome look. Similarly, trimmed sideburns with long hair can exude a more free-spirited style. However, for those with short to medium length hairstyles and fades, tapered sideburns look best. In fact, these faded facial hair styles are called “beard fades”.
How To Cut Sideburns
Ultimately, facial hair is all about personal style and taste, allowing you to make a statement without saying a word. The following tips will help you figure out where to cut your sideburns and how to keep them neat and clean no matter how you shape them!
- To begin, make sure your facial hair is free of product – this will allow you to properly trim and style with ease. If you plan on shaving your sideburns, it’s best to do so after a shower when your face is soft.
- When shaving, always use a quality razor. Otherwise, set your clippers to the second or third setting (a number 2 or 3 guard size). This is the best starting point for trimming your sideburns, allowing you to go shorter if you want!
- Begin shaving your sideburns from the bottom up for a closer cut.
- Blending is key when it comes to achieving that perfect look. Blend the length of your sideburns behind your ears and around the area of your temples to make sure you even things out.
- Now change your clippers to the second setting (number 2 guard size), which is designed to trim your hair shorter in length.
- Go over the lower section of your sideburns to make sure the hair is even and at the length you prefer.
Some cool hairstyles require a razor finish for a neat look, so proceed with these instructions if you want a clean-shaven face. Apply a little shaving cream or butter and use a razor blade to completely cut off your sideburns.
Finally, don’t forget to protect and nourish your facial hair! Apply beard oil, wax or moisturizer to your sideburns for healthy hair.
Types of Sideburns – Best Sideburn Styles
Men’s hairstyles are as versatile as they come – and how high or modern you want to go with your sideburns is up to you. The best sideburn styles are achieved through the proper use of trimmers and the patience to perfect your desired look.
Whether you want a sideburn fade or wish to keep your facial hair wild and free, check out these pictures for inspiration.
Short sideburns are the popular, classy length most guys choose! Shorter styles are generally cut neat and provide a more professional, formal finish.
Long sideburns offer a retro look and extend just beyond the ear. Going further can turn your hair into mutton chops!
Faded or tapered sideburns blend the hair on the side and back of your head into your facial hair. If you have a short men’s haircut and can grow a thick, full beard, we highly recommend you try this!
While most thin sideburns tend to be long, this is one variation that works with slick hair and low fades.