The modern pompadour offers a cool twist on a classic hairstyle. As one of the most versatile and stylish haircuts for men, learning how to style a pompadour is crucial to wearing the cut right. This guide will tell you everything you need to know about the men’s pompadour hairstyle, including how to do all its variations.
From the pomp fade with a hard part to long hair with a beard, check out our step-by-step instructions to styling this sexy look.
- 1 Best Modern Pompadour Haircuts
- 2 How To Style A Pompadour
- 3 Best Hair Product For A Pompadour
- 4 Cool Pompadour Hairstyles
- 4.1 Pompadour with Hard Part + High Fade
- 4.2 Wavy Pomp + Mid Fade + Line Up
- 4.3 Medium Length Textured Pompadour + Short Sides
- 4.4 Thick Pompadour + Classic Tapered Sides
- 4.5 Silver Hair + Pomp Fade + Beard
- 4.6 Long Comb Over Pompadour
- 4.7 David Beckham Pompadour
- 4.8 Messy Pomp + Mid Bald Fade
- 4.9 Side Swept Pomp + Taper Cut
- 4.10 Cool Comb Over Pomp
- 4.11 Bald Faded Pomp + Beard
- 4.12 Big Pomp + Undercut Fade
- 4.13 Undercut Fade Pompadour + Wavy Hair
- 4.14 Slicked Back Pompadour + Low Skin Fade
- 4.15 Low Taper Fade + Classic Pomp + Full Beard
Best Modern Pompadour Haircuts
While the modern pompadour still styles the little poof in the front, the latest trends focus more on loose, textured hair. And although a short pompadour is still perfectly appropriate and trendy, more guys are focusing on medium length to long hairstyles that provide a variety of styling options.
One of the most common variations of the new pomp is the pompadour fade. With the sides faded and the hair on top longer, this fresh look has become very popular in barbershops. The extra length also means you can always change your hairstyle and style a comb over, quiff, or just leave your hair messy.
Like the previous example, the pompadour undercut shapes your hair short on the sides for a high-contrast style. Because the undercut hairstyle continues to be a major trend, this type of pompadour is a great way to cut and style your hair.
Side Part Pompadour
Also known as the comb over pomp, the side part pompadour is a slightly different take on the traditional look. Instead of combing your hair up and back, the comb over pompadour uses a part and sweeps your hair to one side. Combined with a matte pomade finish, this creative version blends classy and hot together.
While most guys may think styling a curly pompadour is too difficult, taming your curly hair into the hairstyle may not be as hard as you think. With the help of some special pomade for curls, the curly pomp affords an awesome look.
For more height and volume, you may want to try the long pompadour. Longer hair has become more fashionable, and styling a pompadour with long hair is a great idea.
The short pompadour is made with a small poof. While the contrast may be less, doing a pompadour with short hair offers a beautiful balance of modern style and simplicity.
How To Style A Pompadour
The pompadour can seem like a hard haircut to get and manage. Fortunately, all you really need is a little styling product and a comb. Here’s a basic guide on how to do a pompadour.
- First, towel dry your hair, but leave it slightly damp. The best time to style is after a shower.
- Now blow dry your hair while combing it up and back.
- With a little pomade or wax, run your hands through your hair. Start with the sides, then the top.
- Slowly smooth in the product with your palms and fingers. Be sure to apply enough to to the hair in front.
- Depending on whether you want a messy or neat finish, use your comb to create the look you want.
Combing your hair into a pompadour may take some practice, so until you’ve mastered the style, allow yourself extra time in your morning routine.
Best Hair Product For A Pompadour
Although some guys still like to use gel, we believe the best pompadour hair product to be a pomade or wax. Gels are flaky and stiff, and a good pomade or wax can provide the right amount of hold, shine, and flexibility. For these reasons, the best hair products for styling a pomp come from brands like Suavecito, Layrite, Uppercut Deluxe, TIGI Bed Head, Baxter of California, and American Crew.
Cool Pompadour Hairstyles
Because the pompadour comes in so many different lengths, hair types, and styles, there are several ways guys can get the look. Here are more examples of how to style a modern pompadour and make the hairstyle unique to you.