If you’ve been wondering how to straighten your beard, you’re not alone. For some men, a long curly beard is something to be proud of; for others, straightening their beard hair is a must. The fact is that there are many ways to make your beard straight, but it all starts with good grooming and beard products.
So whether you’re looking for the best beard straightener or want to learn proper beard care with a quality shampoo, conditioner, oil and comb, we’re going to teach you how to straighten your curly beard hair and leave it nice and soft.
There are different ways to straighten a curly beard. Some guys prefer the natural method, which requires using a beard comb, oil and wax for control, and a blow dryer for a little heat. Other guys rely on more heat by applying a small hair straightener to their facial hair and then conditioning their beards with balm to keep the straight look.
How To Straighten Curly Beard Hair
The first of these two beard straightening methods involves little heat but more effort. By not using much heat, guys can protect their facial hair and avoid damaging their beard. However, the downside is that you may still have some curls and it will take some time to train your hairs to stay straight.
Although time-consuming, the natural method to straightening your beard is extremely simple:
- Wash your beard, using a top-rated shampoo and conditioner to soften up any coarse locks of facial hair. If you prefer a bar of soap, use a specially formulated type of beard soap that is free of harsh chemicals.
- Partially dry your beard using a towel, but don’t rub it vigorously or pull on the hairs. Make sure to pat it dry to avoid tangling, especially in long beards.
- Brush or comb your hair, running the hairs straight down and inwards at the tips to mimic the curvature of your face. This is where your favorite beard comb can come in handy.
- Slowly, start working in some beard oil for moisture and control.
- Now blow dry your hair on a low heat setting while combing.
- As a final touch, apply some wax or balm to keep your hairs soft and conditioned throughout the day.
Using beard balm or wax at the end can really prevent your hairs from curling up as they dry.
|Honest Amish - Classic Beard Oil - 2 Ounce||20,416 Reviews||$12.22||Buy Now|
|The Gentlemen's Premium Beard Oil - Conditioner Softener - All Natural Fragrance Free - Softens,...||3,732 Reviews||$19.97||Buy Now|
How To Straighten Your Beard With A Beard Hair Straightener
The other popular method uses a beard straightener or small hair straightener, in the same way as one would the hair on their head. This tool will ultimately achieve better results and straighter hair, and is meant for the most unruly, hard to tame beards. However, we don’t recommend you use it often as high heat can lead to a damaged dry, brittle beard.
Also, remember that your beard must be long and thick for this to work – applying this kind of heat to a short amount of facial hair is sure to result in a bad burn.
To use a hair straightener, follow these easy steps:
- Wash your beard using conditioner to moisturize and soften it up.
- Pat down your beard, leaving it partially moist.
- Blow dry and comb your hair straight until completely dry.
- Set your beard or small hair straightener to the lowest heat setting.
- Open the straightener and get it as close to your chin and skin as possible before closing the clamps.
- Close the straightener on your beard hairs. Run the closed tongs from the roots of your hairs to the ends (away from you). Make sure to never stop and keep the heat on one particular area for too long as you may risk damaging or killing the hairs.
- Afterwards, apply beard balm or wax to rejuvenate your facial hair.
The key with this method is not to spend too long on any particular section of your beard. This is the exact reason why many seasoned beard experts use the natural method: to avoid the long-term damage associated with scalding your facial hair.
Keep Your Beard Straight With Products
We can not emphasize it enough – conditioning your beard with oil, balm or wax after a heat treatment is extremely crucial. Applying these essential beard care products becomes even more important if you plan on straightening out your beard on a regular basis.
While containing all the great ingredients and benefits of beard oil, beard balms also have butter and beeswax. Beeswax is a critical component that offers a light to medium hold that will keep your beard looking straight all day long.
|Honest Amish Beard Balm Leave-in Conditioner - Made with only Natural and Organic Ingredients - 2...||29,345 Reviews||$11.43||Buy Now|
|Beard Balm for Men | Smooth Viking Beard Balm with Essential Oil & Beeswax (2 Oz) - Strong Hold...||3,423 Reviews||$13.97||Buy Now|
Get A Straight Beard
Whether you’re trying to keep your facial hair completely straight or just want to fix an overly curly beard, it’s good to know that beard straightening isn’t at all difficult.
While the intense combing of the natural method may be tedious, at least you can be sure that your beard will come out as healthy as ever. As for the heat method, all it takes is a little extra care with your beard straightener and you can uncurl the thickest hairs in no time.