The brushed up hairstyle doesn’t have an iconic name like other classic men’s hairstyles such as the quiff, pompadour, or fade. Nevertheless, you’ve definitely seen a brushed up haircut and probably even liked it. Defined by voluminous, thick hair, the brush up looks good on anyone who has short to medium length hair. Cool brushed up hairstyles are often tousled with a relaxed, messy style unique to this men’s haircut style.
In the end, the brush up is an easy haircut that suits most guys while offering the added benefit of being super easy to style. With a hairstyle that is modern and distinct, it’s hard to miss the brushed up haircut for men. Read on to learn how to do a brush up hairstyle and the cool variations you can create!
- 1 What Is The Brushed Up Haircut?
- 2 What Do I Need For The Brushed Up Hairstyle?
- 3 How To Style Brushed Up Hair
- 4 Cool Brushed Up Hairstyles
- 4.1 Thick Textured Brushed Up Hair with Short Sides
- 4.2 Wavy Brushed Up Hair with Taper Fade
- 4.3 Undercut with Brush Up
- 4.4 Low Skin Fade with Messy Brush Up and Beard
- 4.5 Messy Brushed Up Hair with Light Beard
- 4.6 Tapered Hair with Long Textured Brush Up
- 4.7 Brushed Up Hairstyle with High Fade and Beard
- 4.8 High Skin Fade with Thick Brushed Up Hair
- 4.9 Short Sides with Brushed Up Top
- 4.10 Short Tapered Sides with Textured Brushed Up Haircut
- 4.11 Low Fade with Thick, Straight Brush Up
- 4.12 High Skin Fade with Messy Brush Up Cut
- 4.13 Mid Bald Fade with Shape Up and Long Brushed Up Hair
- 4.14 High Fade with Thick Brush Up
What Is The Brushed Up Haircut?
The brushed up hairstyle involves hair which looks like it has been brushed straight up, similar to spiky hair. The longer the hair, the more head-turning and effective this style will look. Just like the undercut, the sides and back of this haircut are cropped short or faded to emphasize the hair on top of the head. The overall look is a variation of the short sides and long hair on top trend, thereby combining a fade or undercut with longer textured hair.
Styling is incredibly important for the haircut, which requires the entire top of the hair to be styled instead of just the front or sides. Without added volume and height, the brush up sits flat and looks similar to other long-on-top hairstyles with no volume.
What Do I Need For The Brushed Up Hairstyle?
The brushed up hairstyle requires the hair on top of the head to be between 2 and 4 inches long. Longer hair will flop over easily and require too much hair product to keep up; meanwhile, shorter hair won’t reach the desired height and will simply look like a messy crew cut.
Unfortunately for those with curly hair, the men’s brush up can be difficult to pull off, as curls tend to resist styling upwards. Wavy or straight hair will give the best results with this look.
Lastly, all you need to pull off the brushed up style is some good quality styling product such as pomade or wax, a hairdryer, and a brush or comb. Brushes work best with straight hair to add texture, while combs are better for wavy hair.
How To Style Brushed Up Hair
Styling the brushed up haircut is easy and the steps are similar to the method used for other popular styles such as the pompadour and the quiff. Once you try this style, you’ll be addicted. Effortlessly stylish hairdos like the brush up will work for every situation. To style the brush up, follow these directions.
- Before styling, prep your hair by washing and towel-drying until slightly damp.
- Apply enough pomade, wax or putty to cover all of your hair. Be sure to distribute the hair product evenly throughout your hair.
- As you apply the product, brush or comb all of your hair upwards. Style it as you would a spiky hairstyle, but make sure it stays messy, disheveled, and textured. Try not to clump the hair strands together.
- Run your fingers through your hair to give it a tousled appearance.
- Blow dry while combing your fingers up to style your bangs and add volume to your hair. Make sure to get enough heat and texture to the hair in the middle of your head for an even look.
Cool Brushed Up Hairstyles
The brushed up style is currently a popular men’s hair trend, and there are many variations on the simple style. To give you haircut ideas for the future, we’ve compiled this gallery of the best brushed up cuts. These pictures will also offer plenty of inspiration for styling your cool brush up in the future. Follow in the footsteps of these stylish men and choose this versatile, easy-to-style men’s haircut.