If you’re searching for the best hair products for men but finding it difficult to choose the right brand for your needs, you’re not alone. With so many men’s hair styling products on the market, picking the best pomade, wax, clay, cream or gel can get confusing and no guy wants to waste his time cycling through stuff that doesn’t work. The issue becomes even more daunting when you realize that different hair products work better for specific hair types and styles. Additionally, there are a variety of different holds, shines, scents, and price ranges to consider.
For this reason, we created a list of the top pomades, waxes and hair products for men worth buying. A good styling product can revolutionize your look and help you get the hairstyles you desire, from a comb over fade to a faux hawk to a pompadour. So whether you want the strongest pomade to style thick hair or a matte wax for thin hair, these men’s grooming products will suit your needs regardless of length, texture or style.
After hours of research evaluating dozens of brands, here’s our guide to the best men’s hair products for thick, thin, curly, wavy, short and long hair. With high-quality ingredients, a range of high, medium and light holds and slick to textured finishes, we are confident there’s something for every man.
- 1 10 Best Hair Styling Products For Men 2022
- 1.1 Suavecito Pomade
- 1.2 TIGI Bed Head B for Men Matte Separation Workable Wax
- 1.3 Layrite Deluxe Original Pomade
- 1.4 Baxter of California Clay Pomade
- 1.5 Imperial Barber Classic Pomade
- 1.6 American Crew Pomade
- 1.7 Uppercut Deluxe Pomade
- 1.8 American Crew Firm Hold Styling Gel
- 1.9 American Crew Fiber
- 1.10 Gatsby Moving Rubber Spiky Edge Hair Wax
- 2 How To Choose A Good Hair Product
- 3 Get The Top Men’s Hair Products
10 Best Hair Styling Products For Men 2022
Suavecito Pomade may be the most popular hair product right now. Because it’s easy to use, offers a strong hold with moderate shine, and smells great, we highly recommend guys try Suavecito. Plus, it’s a water-based pomade, meaning it can be used for all hair types and still wash out easily.
Whether you want to style a pompadour, slicked back, or comb over, you’ll love Suavecito’s pomade! For maximum styling flexibility with excellent control, check out Suavecito’s Firm or Original Hold Pomades.
- MODERATE SHINE. This moderate shine pomade has a...
- WATER SOLUBLE. This pomade washes out easily with...
- COMBS WITH EASE. Style your hair without...
TIGI Bed Head B for Men Matte Separation Workable Wax
Bed Head by TIGI is one of the biggest names in hair care. Made with beeswax, TIGI Bed Head Workable Wax is best for styling textured hairstyles that require a natural, matte finish with hold. Although not a pomade, TIGI is easy to work with and perfect for casual use.
We recommend the TIGI Bed Head Workable Wax with straight hair wanting to style textured or messy looks.
- This product is made of high quality material
- For guys who want hold, style and a natural finish
- Beeswax, cera caranauba and a blend of polymers...
Layrite Deluxe Original Pomade
Layrite is another very well-known and popular water-based brand. Layrite Deluxe Original offers a strong-hold without the stiff and flaky feel of gel. Plus, you get a moderate shine with a light vanilla scent that smells great.
Because of their unique formula, Layrite’s pomade is versatile enough for a variety of men’s hairstyles. For example, you can style a messy quiff, a textured comb over, or a classic greaser look like a pompadour or slick back. In the end, you really can’t go wrong with Layrite Pomade!
- Distributes easily
- Grips hair into most any style
- Medium shine looks healthy, not greasy
Baxter of California Clay Pomade
Baxter of California’s Clay Pomade is a luxury brand that offers a strong hold with a matte finish. As a very high-quality pomade without shine, this styling clay is excellent for defining and molding textured hairstyles.
In addition to its versatility, the Clay Pomade provides a strong, pliable hold that will keep your hair looking natural and in place all day. Although it’s on the more expensive side, we recommend Baxter of California for guys with thin and thick hair who want to style combed styles.
- Separates, defines and molds Your hair
- Provides a matte finish
- Provides a strong, long lasting Hold on men's...
Imperial Barber Classic Pomade
Imperial Classic Pomade is an industrial-strength styling product with low shine. While Imperial Barber offers a very strong hold, Imperial’s water-based pomade is still easy to rinse out. Guys can style their hair throughout the day or just once in the morning – either way, it will hold.
Moreover, the nice watermelon scent is a subtle but pleasant smell. Ultimately, Imperial Classic Pomade is a quality product for men of fine, thick, wavy or curly hair types who want to style a number of different styles.
American Crew Pomade
American Crew Pomade is a classic men’s hair styling product found in most barbershops, salons, and department stores. Their popular water-based pomade offers a medium-hold with high shine. Guys love this brand because it’s easy to use, provides both flexibility and control, and has a wonderful smell.
American Crew is well-known for their quality hair products, and this pomade doesn’t disappoint. Use this American Crew Pomade to style a wide-range of hairstyles no matter what type of hair you have.
- HAIR POMADE: A moisture-rich cream pomade that...
- POMADE FOR MEN: Works well when a textured...
- KEY BENEFIT: Medium hold and high shine. Provides...
Uppercut Deluxe Pomade
Made in Australia, Uppercut Deluxe Pomade is a medium to strong hold styling product. As a water-based pomade with medium shine and a delicious vanilla-coconut scent, Uppercut Deluxe is good for all types of hair.
From classic hairstyles (pompadour and slicked back) to modern styles (comb over and mohawk), Uppercut provides the right amount of volume and hold for a quality finish.
- This strong hold, high shine pomade was the first...
- Deluxe Pomade has been designed for the discerning...
- Suitable for all hair types of medium length, it...
American Crew Firm Hold Styling Gel
Although we normally recommend pomades over gels, American Crew’s Firm Hold Styling Gel is a unique hair product and is probably the best men’s gel on the market. This alcohol-free formula isn’t a typical gel – it doesn’t flake, crunch, dry out, or make it hard to style your hair.
As a high-hold, high-shine product that smells like cologne, it works best for thick, straight hair when you want a spiky, textured, or slick hairstyle. And at $20 for a 33.8 ounce bottle, it’s surprisingly an affordable choice.
- HAIR GEL: A moisture-rich gel that provides a...
- HAIR GEL FOR MEN: Works well when a textured...
- KEY BENEFIT: High hold and high shine. Provides...
American Crew Fiber
If you’re looking for a matte finish to go with a strong-hold, American Crew Fiber may be right for you. This American Crew men’s styling product contains resinous fibers for pliable control that maximizes hold yet provides the versatility to style your hair the way you want. It applies smoothly with a touch of water for moisture and is perfect for thick, full hair and textured looks. Overall, American Crew Fiber is a great product from an iconic brand.
- SIMILAR TO HAIR GEL: A moisture-rich cream gel...
- LIKE HAIR GEL FOR MEN: Works well when a textured...
- KEY BENEFIT: High hold and low shine. Provides...
Gatsby Moving Rubber Spiky Edge Hair Wax
The Gatsby Moving Rubber Spiky Edge hair product provides the strongest hold in the company’s line, making it ideal for short, spiky hairstyles. For best results when styling, this wax should be worked in while your hair is slightly damp. Hair that is too dry can be difficult to work with and style.
As a low-shine option that smells amazing, Gatsby Moving Rubber is a good choice if you have thick, coarse hair and want to style a faux hawk or spiked hairstyle. The only downside is that the product can require more effort to wash out.
- POWER STRIKES -Strong holding power keeps hair...
- Recommended hair length：Very Short, Short
- Styling Power ：(10/10)
How To Choose A Good Hair Product
Picking the top-rated hair products for men on the market can be tricky. Historically, pomades were oil-based, high-shine hair products used to create slick greaser hairstyles such as slicked backs, pomps, and quiffs. While some continue to have oil-based ingredients, the best pomades of today are all water-based, with some adding fiber, clay or paste to increase hold.
Although traditional pomades have a strong hold and high shine, they are notoriously difficult to wash out. Oil-based pomades can also cause acne breakouts on your scalp or forehead, which is why consumers have shifted towards water-soluble pomades. Because the best water-based brands offer a variety of hold and shine options with the convenience of rinsing out easily, most guys prefer them.
Nowadays, well-reviewed pomade brands include Suavecito, Layrite, Baxter of California, Imperial Barber, American Crew, Uppercut, and TIGI Bed Head, among others. All of these companies also offer a range of hair products, including waxes, clays, creams, and gels.
Here are a few things to consider when buying a quality men’s product.
- Compare the hold. Generally, pomades provide the strongest holds. Nevertheless, this doesn’t mean your hair will appear stiff as water-based pomades allow for restyling throughout the day. However, it is also important to note that not all guys need a super high hold. Some men prefer more movement and a natural look, and this is where hair waxes and clays provide flexibility. Finally, the best product for guys with long hair needing a lightweight choice is cream.
- Shine vs textured. Most pomade companies create their products to give a medium to high shine finish. On the other hand, if you want your hair to look natural and textured with a matte finish, you’re better off getting a wax, clay, or cream.
- Smell. Men and women are naturally attracted to good scents, so it makes sense to buy the best smelling hair product. Fortunately, almost all brands know this, so you’ll only find great smells.
Get The Top Men’s Hair Products
If these hair products don’t seem like the right fit for your hair, then you should definitely consider a wax or clay instead. The top hair waxes on the market offer a number of different holds, are mostly low shine or matte, and are made with some of the finest all-natural ingredients. Furthermore, they provide guys with much of the same styling ease and ability pomades do.